- 1 In a Hurry? Here are Our Top Choices:
- 2 What’s an Upright Walker?
- 3 How is an Upright Walker Helpful in a day to day Scenario?
- 4 Our Picks for The Best Stand Up Walkers for Seniors
- 5 Best Upright Walkers for Seniors Review
- 5.1 1. Elenker Euro Style Upright Walker
- 5.2 2. UPWalker Original Upright Walker – Stand Up Rollator Walker
- 5.3 3. Beyour Upright Rollator
- 5.4 4. In-Step Mobility U-Step 2 Foldable Upright Rolling Walker
- 5.5 5. OasisSpace Narrow Lightweight Upright Walker
- 5.6 6. Drive Medical RTL10266BK-H Nitro Aluminum Rollator
- 6 Tips & Tricks for Better and far more Comfortable Usability of an Upright Walker
- 7 Conclusion
Looking for the Best Upright walkers for Seniors? We researched more than 15 different walkers and rollators and compared them side-by-side before choosing the top 6 to review in-depth.
Today immobility has become a reason for significant concern for over 80% of the population worldwide. From trauma, accidents, handicaps, physical ailment to age-related deterioration, there are many reasons which can culminate into difficulty in walking or movements.
Assistance to move around becomes an essential requirement during this period. Sadly enough, a constant human presence to help one move around freely is not always a viable option. This is why walkers have become one of the most sold-out healthcare equipment today.
The pilot Upright walker has undergone numerous upgrades today with constant innovation and new technological upgrades. The choices are many, but most of them are categorized for specific functionalities. So, it is imperative to understand in detail the overall aspects and specifications of an Upright walker.
What’s an Upright Walker?
An upright walker is a breakthrough revolutionized upgrade from a standard walker or roller. Some of the significant issues related to prolonged usage of walkers and rollers are poor posture, instability in movement, and pain caused by prolonged strain around the bone joints.
An upright walker helps in smoother movements and even distribution of the stress weight. These small changes help in reducing discomfort and strain to a great extent and thus helps in a better and more fluid mobility.
As Upright walkers generally come with a rest seat, one can easily take a break from walking to sit and rest for a while wherever possible without the need for searching any extra sitting space around.
What are the Features that Should One Check for While Choosing an Upright Walker?
As mentioned above, not all Upright walkers are suitable for one and all. Or rather, one can say that there is a specific Upright walker designed for every case. Based on a few specific criteria, one can choose the right and exact walker to suit their needs.
The ease of mobility
Choosing an upright walker should be specific to the mobility quotient of the owner based on the extent of restrictions in the movability of the person, and the degree of assistance required can help in determining the exact walker one can need.
E.g., standard two-wheel walkers are suitable for age-related aliments while the four wheelbase Upright walkers are specifically designed for patients with minimal or extremely low mobility quotient.
The adjustability of the walker
An Upright walker should always be chosen based on how well fit the device is for the user. Adjustments based on user convenience should be a primordial factor to consider when choosing a walker.
sometimes, a regular Upright walker is not the perfect solution. For instance, in case the user has lower back-related issues, the rest base needs to have better cushioning and back support for a comfortable sitting position.
Similarly, additional pouch attachments are necessary in case the user needs to carry additional goods like medicines, water bottles, and prescriptions, among many other miscellaneous products.
How is an Upright Walker Helpful in a day to day Scenario?
It is a common belief that walkers, in general, are specific to Seniors or disabled individuals. However, that is far from the real truth. Walkers, especially Upright walkers, have multi-dimensional usability. These includes
- Reduction and uniform weight distributions – SItuations like wounds, Arthritis, Pelvic ailments, limited mobility, and congenital or genetic issues can cause the skeletal frame to tilt or stress on a specific section more.
- Improved Balance – Poor balance can be caused due to numerous physical and neurological factors. To prevent such scenarios, an Upright walker can be used. Upright walkers have been known to help in a faster transition and recovery for people with prosthetic attachments.
- It helps in battling Fatigue more comfortably. Chronic pain and health ailments can cause breathlessness and tiredness more often than average. Upright walkers can help in stabilizing the issue faster.
Our Picks for The Best Stand Up Walkers for Seniors
|ELENKER Upright Walker, Stand Up Folding Rollator Walker with 10” Front Wheels, Padded Armrests,...||1,962 Reviews||$249.99||Buy on Amazon|
|UPWalker Original Upright Walker – Stand Up Rollator Walker & Walking Aid with Seat – Standard...||430 Reviews||$645.00||Buy on Amazon|
|BEYOUR WALKER Upright Walker, Stand Up Rollator Walker Tall Rolling Mobility Walking Aid with 10”...||1,264 Reviews||$186.99||Buy on Amazon|
|U-Step II Walking Stabilizer (Black Walker)||30 Reviews||$528.00||Buy on Amazon|
|610 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|Drive Medical RTL10266BK-H Nitro Aluminum Rollator, Hemi Height, 10 Inch Casters, 1 Count (Pack of...||114 Reviews||$175.59||Buy on Amazon|
How to Take the Correct Measurement for Selecting the Right Walker?
Every walker needs to be adjusted based on the height of the owner. Purchasing a walker based on these specific criteria is essential. The user should stand in an upright position with an erect backbone.
A measuring tape should be used to measure the height from the wrist level to the floor. Additionally, one should always choose a walker with an optimal width span to easily ensure its mobility through doorways and corners.
Additionally, the ideal anatomical positioning of a user with the walker can be determined through a small visibility factor. The elbows of the user should be at an approximately 15-degree angle with relation to the handlebar of the walker.
Best Upright Walkers for Seniors Review
Based on the research and criteria we came up with the Top 6 upright walker reviews that you should consider. These include:
1. Elenker Euro Style Upright Walker
- Back Straight and Remain Active: The height of padded armrest from ground is 38”- 45”, soft padded armrests keep your forearms at a natural level, relieve painful stress on shoulders and back.
- Stability and Security: 10” Front wheels, 360°swivel for easy maneuvering, sturdy enough for indoor and outdoor smooth ride. Ergonomic dual hand brakes and sturdy frame provide better safety.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly Upright walker with a comfortably spacious rest seat, there is no other better option than Elenker Euro Style Upright Walker. One of the highest-rated and most reviewed Upright walkers for seniors of the past few yrs, this is one very versatile and comfortable to use Upright walkers in the market right now.
Ease of movement, along with a lightweight body, makes it a perfect travel companion without requiring much transit effort. The four wheelbases provide the much-needed stability to handle steep and rough walking surfaces smoothly.
The Elenker Euro Style Upright walker comes with an ample 8-inch wheelbase for better and more stable positioning. Additionally, the dual brake locks make it a very sturdy and safe walker to use.
Weighing at 18.5 pounds, the single-hand foldability with additional storage space makes it easy to transport or move around even for elders and weaker users.
With a weight capacity of up to 300 lbs and handle adjustment range of 35 to 45 inches makes it suitable for a broader range of users.
- Pedals with obstacle aid
- Adjustable armrest
- 24-inch high seat
- Nylon mesh breathable seat
- Detachable accessory bag
- 10-inch front wheel and 8-inch rear large wheel
- Compound aluminum body
- 300 lbs weight capacity
2. UPWalker Original Upright Walker – Stand Up Rollator Walker
- WALK UPRIGHT & REGAIN YOUR MOBILITY – UPWalker is designed to help users regain upright mobility, improve walking & posture, reduce pain in your legs, back, hands, wrists & joints and reclaim your...
- ENGINEERED FOR SAFETY AND STABILITY – Only UPWalker upright walkers are engineered from the ground up for your balance and safety. Our patented design helps users walk more upright and provides a...
I guess you may have seen the UPWalker commercial on TV, UPwalker is the same upright walker as seen on tv. Designed by Lifewalker, this is often regarded as the original Upright walker. The durable and well built skeletal frame of the Up Walker makes it a very robust and stable option to choose.
Especially suitable for heavyweight users with minimal mobility, the Up Walker can help in reducing pain along the limbs and joints caused due to uneven weight distribution.
The Up Upright walker is equipped with 8-inch multi-terrain wheels for ease of movement. With adjustable height modification options and comfortable pair of the armrest, the Up walker is undoubtedly a far better option than the regular walkers available.
Additional to the lockable breaks, the Up Walker is equipped with Sit to stand handles for ease of upward and downward movements. These handles also provide the extra added stability.
Built to handle large weight capacity, the Up Upright Walker can carry a load of up to 350 lbs, which is much higher than the average. The Up Walker comes in 3 size options for users with a height range between 4 ft 4 inches to 6 ft 6 inches giving it a broader user base (S, M, L).
The rest seat has an average ground clearance of 20 inches (21 inches in the L variant). The comfortable and spacious breathable fabric rest seat comes with additional back support for extra cushion.
- PVC and Aluminium combination body for a robust built
- 4 All-terrain rubber wheels with 8 inches dimension
- Seat width varies between 16 inches to 20 inches
- Weights between 21lbs to 25lbs
- Comes with a lifetime warranty on frame and six months warranty on the additional components
3. Beyour Upright Rollator
- Updated Upright Walker: According to market feedback, we released bigger Wheels, adjustable holding angle, bigger storage bag and reinforced frame.
- Stable & Safe: 10” Front Wheels, rolling smooth indoors and outdoors, not easy to tip-over. Dual braking system, pull to apply the brakes, push to lock rear wheels.
With budget-friendly pricing, the Beyour Upright Rollator is a package with some interesting aspects. Stylishly built, Beyour Upright Walker comes in a very unusual color combination of Black and white.
For sturdy and more stable usability, the Beyour Upright Rollator has 10 inches all-terrain dual front wheel and 8-inch rubber all-terrain dual rear wheels.
With a single hand folding maneuverability, the lightweight and easy to use Rollator has an additional detachable bag for extra goods.
The custom tube frame allows one to adjust the armrest and frame height for a more comfortable and correct posture positioning.
The dual locking brakes with adjustable handles give an extra layer of protection for better and safer usability.
Frame height can be adjusted up to a nominal state for a person of 6 ft height at maximum and 5 ft at minimum.
- Handle adjustment between 35 to 45 inches
- Weight capacity of 300lbs
- Seats with a ground clearance of 24 inches
- Dual brake system
- 10 inches dual front wheel and 8 inches dual rear wheel
- The unit weight is 22 lbs
- Customizable armrest tubing
- Pedals with Threshold aid for ease of movement
- Has two available color combinations – Red and Black, White and Black
4. In-Step Mobility U-Step 2 Foldable Upright Rolling Walker
This is known as one of the most ultra-stable Upright Rollators. Indicated explicitly for users with neurological issues, the Instep Mobility Upright walker is different from the other upright rollators available in the market.
In-Step Mobility U-Step 2 Foldable Upright Rolling Walker is especially suitable for users with issues like ALS, Balance Disorders, Multiple sclerosis, Ataxia, and other brain-related ailments and neurological conditions where movement without assistance is strenuous.
Ease of movement through tiny turns and nooks makes it an excellent choice for usability in small spaces. Additionally, the extra stable factor ensures that the walker is never prone to unforeseen situations like fall or slip.
The U shaped base with eight multi-sized wheels provides extra stability to the walker and makes it extremely reliable for usage.
The only upright walker with a reverse braking mechanism ensures the prevention of falls or slippage in frictionless or slippery terrains.
The tension levered multi wheels allows one to control every aspect of movement during walking.
Spring-loaded front wheels prevent jerks during movement through rough or uneven terrain.
- The In-Step Mobility Rollator weighs 30 lbs and has a dimension of 38X25X11 inches
- Suitable for a height range between 4 ft 3 inches to 6ft 8 inches as it is available in 3 variants – Standard, Small and Tall.
- Ground clearance of the rest seat is 22 inches
- Weight capacity is higher than usual at 370 lbs maximum
5. OasisSpace Narrow Lightweight Upright Walker
The Oasis Space Narrow Lightweight Upright Walker is designed to be compact without compromising on the features. As one of the highest-rated Upright walkers for seniors, this Rollator is undoubtedly built to attract attention.
The medically approved Oasis Space Rollator has a weight capacity of 300 lbs and a flexible framework that can be used by people ranging from 4 ft to 6 ft. It has a standard adjustment range between 42 to 46 inches.
Padded armrest allows a comfortable grip and rests for the arms without causing strain on specific pressure points of the upper body.
A unique key feature of the Oasis Space Narrow Lightweight Upright Walker is that its front wheels are foldable while the rear wheels are removable. This allows one to easily fold the entire walker into a small compact frame and packed into trolleys and travel bags easily.
Detachable safety bars allows one to comfortably rest their back while seated and allows comfortable seating and standing movements by providing support. The bar can be easily folded or removed based on the need.
Large and durable waterproof bag attachment allows one to carry extra accessories along easily. Best of all, the waterproof bag attachment folds away when the walker is folded compactly.
With one of the best resale values in the market, this is the perfect choice for users who require Upright Rollator for a short period. The year extended warranty is also very unique to this specific model.
The compact design with adjustable models makes it a viable choice for a broader range of users. Overall Oasis Space Narrow Lightweight Upright Walker is a modest purchase with numerous added perks.
- FDA approved Upright walker
- Weight capacity of 300 lbs
- Adjustable Handlebar and Brakes
- Detachable Safety bar
- Overall weight – 27 pounds
- Dimension – 23 inches x 17 inches x 18 Inches
- Extra-large waterproof bag attachment
- Comfortable and large rest seat
6. Drive Medical RTL10266BK-H Nitro Aluminum Rollator
- Handle height easily adjusts with unique push button; Back support height easily adjusts with tool-free thumb screw
- Large 10 inches front casters allow optimal steering and rolling comfort; Caster fork design enhances turning radius
Drive Nitro Rollator is undoubtedly designed to attract attention. The unique framework combined with the utility makes it a versatile upright walker suitable for a broader range of users. The caster wheelbase allows longer usability on rough and uneven terrain effortlessly.
The classic black color with a unique European style aluminum framework gives the Drive Medical Rollator an exquisite and sophisticated outlook. The absence of visible brake cables further enhances the look. The wires are framed within the casing of the Rollator rather than outside.
Adjustable handle height at the push of a button relieves the need for excessive manual maneuvering for height adjustments. Similarly, the back support can also be adjusted with the easy to use tool-free thumb screw.
A comfortable and spacious rest seat made of breathable fabric has a well designed removable storage bag on the lower side for extra storage space while moving around.
The four-wheeled Rollator has a unique caster fork design for a better and smooth turning radius transition. The 10-inch front wheel caster promotes a more fluid steering motion, thus moving ultimately strain-free.
Natural single hand foldable design allows a better and far more compact unit that requires minimal storage space. Plastic clip adjustments hold the folded walker in place when not in use. The cross brace design of the frame allows better stability.
- 4 Wheel Rollator
- 27-3/4 Inch Base Depth
- 23 Inch Base Width
- Aluminum Frame
- 28 to 31 Inch Handle Height
- 18 Inch Seat Height
- 18 inches x 8.5 inches x 18 inches seat dimension
- 300 lbs. Weight Capacity
- 10 Inch Caster Wheel
- 17.5 lbs in total weight
Tips & Tricks for Better and far more Comfortable Usability of an Upright Walker
Additional tips for walker users that can help in operating the walker smoothly for a very long time include,
- Never use a walker on a frictionless or slippery surface. Wet floors, Ice, snow, or mud skids are to be avoided at all cost
- Always ensure an erect posture while using a walker. Incorrect posture can give rise to numerous additional problems.
- Never wear unstable shoes while using a walker. Heels and stilettos should be especially avoided as they are more prone to accidents. The extra height difference created due to wearing heels can also alter the usability balance of a walker.
- Always ensure that you walk slowly and steadily while using an Upright walker. Speeding or walking fast will only make you lose control and balance and harm yourself as well as damage the walker.
When Should one Get an Upright Walker Instead of a Regular Walker?
One of the most pronounced comments posted by customers is why one should choose Upright walker for senior over standard walker when the former is much cheaper and readily available.
Yes, conventional walkers are indeed way cheaper and easy to purchase. But when it is the matter of usability quotient and result as rehabilitator equipment, Upright walkers win by all accounts.
The reasons being
Improved and far better stability – falls and slips are dramatically reduced in the case of an Upright Walker due to the specific design integration of gripped handlebars.
Breaking Mechanism – Upright walkers always are designed with braking mechanisms pre-installed. This prevents the walker from slipping and from controlling the speed of movement. This is especially effective when one wants to sit and rest for a while
Uniform weight distribution – in a standard walker, the maximum weight is stressed upon the wrists and the upper skeletal system. This causes osseous wearing and pain in the joints of the upper body. In the case of an upright walker, the weight is not localized to a specific section of the body. The armrest alone works excellent as a weight distributor, thus reducing strain.
Better mobility – As upright walkers have wheel attachment, it’s easier to maneuver around. Rough terrains and uneven surfaces are not suitable for generic non-wheelbase walkers. However, an Upright walker can smoothly move through these areas, making it easy for a person to walk through with restrictions.
Seat Attachment – The most significant difference between a regular walker and an Upright walker is the inclusion of a Rest seat in the future. This allows the owner to take rest for some time in case of Fatigue or discomfort.
Additional baggage unit – Upright Walker has another unique inclusion called the utility bag. This extra attachment allows one to carry a few extra additions along without any hassle easily.
Customizable design – Unlike usual stationary walkers, an Upright walker has multiple adjustable components that can be custom modified based on one’s exact requirement and comfort.
Ergonomic design – Upright walkers are designed using reinforced Aluminum that is known for extra stability and improved aerodynamics. The devices have been medically tested and approved due to their well balanced and superior performance as healthcare equipment.
Upright walkers for seniors is one of those essential healthcare aides that not only makes mobility easier but it also gives the much-needed stability for the elderly people. Upright walkers are designed to withstand continuous load and support the weight of a person at all times. In addition to being a safer assistance aide, Walkers also helps in relieving distress and pressure on the lower body joints.
Buying Upright walker for seniors at the earliest will help in better mobility and also provide an extra layer of protection against body instability